Monday, January 17, 2011

Responsibility


Think about the word responsibility. Break it down:

response - ability

The ability to respond (in an appropriate manner, is the implication). It has often been said that it's not what happens to us in life, but how we respond to it. Think about people who had *everything* and proceeded to piss it away (Hendrix, Belushi, et al.), and others who had nothing and carved out good (and sometimes great) lives for themselves. Next time something memorable happens in your life, stop and think about your response - many times, this effort takes no more than a second or two. You'll be surprised at how just putting this one or two second "filter" between your stimulus and response can *radically* alter the direction of your life.

Why am I thinking about this? The weigh-in did not go well.....

Yes, I even wrote about week 2 being the bad week and how I needed to prepare myself for a "bad" week. I knew not to expect a big number. I "knew" these things, but the 1.5 pound weight loss after the numbers I put up last week (7 workouts, 7.7 hours workout time, over 27 miles, etc, etc) was still disheartening. I even did the get off, get back on, get off, get back on, get off, get back on one more time dance to make sure - 1.5 pounds each time.

There were other reasons to not work out Sunday. It was a lazy day around our house - after the 2 weeks prior, I could have easily justified slacking off. Also, the football playoffs are going on here in the US and not only that, but my favorite team was playing (I rarely get to see them on TV here in Denver). It's common to munch on potato chips and soda, like you're at the movies while football is on here in the US (do Brits munch on crisps when Man U is playing?)

Also, the Sunday paper beckoned; chores needed to be done around the house; my daughter politely asked me to watch some bizarro cartoon. In short, it was a perfect storm....

I worked out anyway :)

I listened to the "filter" I had set up between my stimulus and response and it told me to do the right thing. And I did....

Yesterday's (Sunday's) numbers:
Time: 60 minutes; 3.60 miles, 3.7 MPH, 3.5% incline; 458 Cals burned

Today's (Monday's) numbers:
Time: 60 minutes; 3.60 miles, 3.7 MPH, 4.0% incline; 498 Cals burned

Tomorrow (early flight, client) is the first really big challenge. Wish me luck....


Too lazy to do a playlist review today.......

Goals are only motivating if you really believe you can reach them. Here are the goals I've set for myself:

1 - 10 consecutive days working out
Status: Achieved on 1/12/11/Wed

2 - 10 pounds lost
Status: At 7.5 pounds on 1/16 - (will hopefully hit at 1/23 weigh in)

3 - 42" pants size
Status: Achieved on 1/14/11/Fri

4 - 30 consecutive days working out
Status: 2/1 will be 30 days - today (1/17) was 15th consecutive day

5 - 20 pounds lost
Status: In progress

6 - 30 pounds lost - 40" pants size
Status: In progress

7 - 60 consecutive days working out
Status: In progress

8 - 40 pounds lost - 38" pants size
Status: In progress

9 - 100 consecutive days working out
Status: In progress

10 - Final weight goal (65 pounds lost - 36" Pants size)
Status: 7/1/11 set as goal date

No comments:

Post a Comment