Monday, January 10, 2011

The Journey

I *so* wanted to call my blog "Notes from the Overfed", but I'm obviously not the only one who's read Woody Allen's short stories, as there are numerous blogs out there with that title, so I've decided to combine two things I'm focusing on in 2011: Weight Loss and Music.

I've been inspired by lots of people including this blog. I know the person who writes that blog and I admire her a great deal.

I am hoping that writing this will accomplish three things:

1. It will inspire others - as you will see, if I can do it *anybody* (and I do mean *anybody*) can

2. It will keep me on track - I've tried and failed to lose weight countless times before - if these posts ground and focus me, I hope to increase my chances of success.

3. It will put me in touch with others who are on the "journey"

Here's my story:

I am Fat:

I have always been fat - I can never remember a time when I didn't feel fat.

I am Fat and Old:

I am 44 and don’t want to be Fat and 50.

I am Fat, Old and Unhealthy:

I have serious sleep apnea and I use a CPAP machine. I have hypertension and I take blood pressure medication. I couldn't run a mile if my life depended on it. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. I am lucky in the sense that my genetics seem to be OK - (grandparents lived into 80s, parents still alive), but every measure of health shows that I am below the average for my age.

I am fat, Old, Unhealthy and Undisciplined.

I don’t do the things my friends do because they are fit - they bike, they ski and they hike - I live in Colorado, so these activities are practically mandatory. I want to do these things but pretend I don’t care. If I was thin I could get fit and then I could join in. I am disciplined in many aspects of my life - but when it comes to food and exercise, I am pathetic.

I am fat, Old, Unhealthy, Undisciplined and a Bad Role Model.

When my daughter was born, I swore I wouldn't be one of those dads to tired at the end of the day to do anything. Guess where I am today.

Here are the (ugly) starting stats:
Age: 43 (44 on 1/26)
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 253 (115 Kg or 18 stone)
Resting Pulse: 84
BP: 135/90

The Goal:
Date: 7/1/11
Weight: 190 (86.2 Kg or 13.5 stone)
Resting Pulse: 70
BP: 120/80

As of today (1/10/11/Monday), I have worked out for 7 straight days and lost 6 pounds. Yes, yes - I know - don't expect that type of weight loss to continue. My goal is 2 pounds per week.

My stats for the first week (first 6 workouts):

Miles: 21.22
Time: 6.2 hours
Cal Burned: 4036

I use a heart monitor when I work out, so I'm hoping the Calories Burned number is pretty accurate.

The second part of this blog will deal with my thoughts about the music I listen to while I work out via my iPod Nano set to "Shuffle" mode. Here's the list from my last workout session:

Two Tickets To Paradise - Eddie Money
I didn't like Eddie Money that much when I was a teenager, but I seem to like him a lot more now. Funny how that works. Same thing happened to me with broccoli and James Joyce.

I Ran - A Flock Of Seagulls
80's kitsch at it's best - bought their debut album for this song and "Telecommunication". Greatest rock and roll haircut of all time.

It Can Happen - Yes
Not a traditional workout song, but great nonetheless. 90125 was so out of character for them - must have seen how Asia was able to make art-rock radio friendly.

Country Roads - Toots and the Maytals
For those of you unaware, Toots and the Maytals are a legendary reggae band, second only to Bob Marley in greatness. I heard their cover of this old John Denver song on an episode of "My Name Is Earl". Great vocals - reminds me of the pure joy in Sachmo's What A Wonderful World.

Rosemary - Dickies
I used to be a DJ at my college radio station - I had this in heavy rotation.

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
The perfect workout song - the beats per minute matches my pace exactly. Best lines in Hot Tub Time Machine

[Wondering if they've traveled back in time]
Nick: "What color is Michael Jackson?"
Confused 1980's girl:"Black?"
[Nick runs out in horror]

I Zimbra - Talking Heads
One of the great nonsensical songs of all time. Rubber Biscuit and Come Together also make the list. Go ahead and google the lyrics - I dare ya.

Do Ya Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels
It must be tough to be a one-hit wonder. Lee used to perform with just himself on piano and a drummer.

Champagne Supernova - Oasis
Again, not a traditional workout song, but so freaking great, it really gets my heart pumping.

Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads
If I could only play one song to show the Heads greatness, this would be it. An incredibly close second would be Life During Wartime. Sorry haters; Burning Down the House isn't even in my Top 10.

Who Are You - The Who
Without a doubt, the most played song on the radio with the work "fuck" in it. Roger says it a couple of times actually. Weird trivia: Lennon clearly says "Oh fucking hell" right before one of the choruses of Hey Jude.

Jet - Paul McCartney
Great song, but I had to speed it up a little bit with this tool.

Special - Garbage
Gavin Rossdale, the guy married to Gwen Stefani, once said that Shirley Manson is the sexiest woman in music - hard to disagree.

Save Yourself - Stabbing Westword
Unbelievably great song from a band I know absolutely nothing about - couldn't name another one of their songs if you paid me.

Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones
Third dirtiest song ever written by the Stones behind Sparks Will Fly and Tie You Up.

No Reply At All - Genesis
Genesis Greatest Hits CD does not have this song on it - how it that possible? Other glaring omission: Got To Get You Into My Life isn't on the 1962-1966 Beatles collection - a travesty!

Alabama Getaway - Grateful Dead
The most un-Grateful Dead song they ever recorded - if you like it, buy the single - the album (Go To Heaven) is one of their weakest.

No comments:

Post a Comment